The Worship Team promotes and supervises this congregation’s worship and music ministries with the assistance of council and guidance from the pastor, the organist, and the choir director(s). Duties of this team include:
- Ensuring that services of this congregation are conducted regularly and in harmony with the published liturgies of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and its predecessor bodies
- Coordinating and training ushers, worship assistants, lay readers, and greeters
- Providing and maintaining hymnals and other devotional materials
- Maintaining the schedule for placement of flowers in the sanctuary and supervising seasonal decoration of the sanctuary
- Supervising and supporting the choirs and maintaining the choir robes and the musical instruments of this congregation
2019 Team Leaders: Charles Nicholson and Beverly Nivens
Members: Kay Black, Isma Boland, Ben Lemons, Ruth Nicholson.
Ex-officio Members: Pastor Henderson, Brent Holcomb, Melodie Capole
In 2018 the Worship Team assisted the pastor and choir directors with the worship and music ministry of the congregation. Regular worship services were held with a variety of liturgies. Some changes to Sunday services were made in response to suggestions in a congregational questionnaire. A trumpeter at Easter and on Reformation Sunday and a harpist at Homecoming added to worship on those days. In a month with five Sundays, less formal worship in the Fellowship Hall was held on the fifth Sunday: in September, a youth Sunday with reports from the church-wide gathering in Houston, and in December, a Christmas carol sing. The choirs began wearing new blue robes December. Volunteers from the congregation were involved in the services as lay readers, ushers, acolytes, crucifers, and worship assistants and also greeted worshipers at the church door. The members also provided beautiful flowers for Sunday services, white lilies for Easter, and poinsettias for Christmas. Special thanks to all who helped decorate the church for Christmas. Melodie Capole joined us as bell choir director this year and has brought a group of relatives and friends to keep the choir fully staffed. She has led the choir in providing bell pieces at least once a month. We appreciate the contribution the members of both choirs have made throughout the year.
The Altar Guild, with Isma Boland as leader, is also part of the Worship Team. We appreciate their work preparing communion for each service, making sure proper paraments and banners are used, and checking the readiness of acolytes and crucifers for each service.
Submitted by Charles Nicholson, 2018 Team Leader
Members: Kay Black, Isma Boland, Ben Lemons, Ruth Nicholson
Ex-officio members: Pastor Henderson, Brent Holcomb, Melodie Capole